Monday, March 10, 2014

Egg and Cheese Omelette


Egg and Cheese Omelette  (Mrs. G. Hutton)
pg 68
  • 1 tab plain flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 tab water
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese
  • 300ml milk
  • 2 spring onions
  • 3- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • pepper to taste
  • bacon (1-2 rashers)

Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.  Add enough water to make a smooth paste.  (The amount of water required will differ depending on how old your flour is and other factors like humidity.  Add three whole eggs and beat well.  Add grated cheese and milk and beat until a good batter is made.  Fry in a greased fry pan over a low heat.   When the omelette is almost set, add the shallots and lightly fried cherry tomatoes to the top.    

 Once the omlette is completely set, give it a dusting of freshly cracked pepper and serve it on toast with fried bacon as a side.

Note:  you could also cut up the bacon, fry it and add it on top as well as/in lieu of the tomato.


This was my first meal for 2014, breakfast on New Year's Day.  (So very behind in my blogging right now!)

At first I balked at adding so much salt but I decided to remain faithful to the recipe.  I do admit I made it a very small teaspoon of salt. I certainly didn't add any extra salt along with the pepper as recommended in the recipe. If I were making it again, I would probably halve the salt as I found the finished omelette a little too salty for my tastes.    

I used pre-shredded pizza cheese for my omelette but would maybe consider trying different cheeses to see how I could change the flavour, for example a sharp vintage cheese or a grated swiss cheese might add something extra.

All in all, a very nice omelette recipe and a very nice way to start the year!


We've already seen a recipe by Mrs. G. Hutton on this blog - a cinnamon tea cake which I obviously liked (captioned the 'best cinnamon tea cake ever'.)  With nothing more to add to the write-up, I'll leave you with a picture of myself enjoying the delicious (albeit slightly too salty) omelette for breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. I'll take one! :) I congratulate you, I suck so much at flipping omlettes that I bought an omlette machine (like a jaffle iron).

    ReplyDelete