Friday, April 5, 2013

Condensed Milk Mayonnaise

I was planning to eat a waldorf salad for lunch which required some mayonnaise.  Rather than buy factory made mayonnaise I decided to make my own, a plan of action which has had some hilarious and heartbreaking results in past attempts.

Rather than repeat the usual Family Circle recipe that has bought nothing but disappointment, I decided to try one of the few mayonnaise recipes from the project cookbook.   The first recipe in the sauces and dressing section involved a mayonnaise made with sweet condensed milk.

My mind boggled.  I had to try it! 



Mayonnaise Dressing (Mrs. J. W. Duncan)
page 90
  • 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 egg yolk (unbeaten)
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar



Mix all ingredients except vinegar in a bowl.  
Add vinegar very gradually beating well between each addition. 

It is recommended that you let the mixture sit a few minutes after beating.  This seemed to assist the thickening process. 

  



My Results and Notes

Simple! Simple! Simple!   Even using my old set of hand-powered beaters, this didn't take long and it came together easily, with a wonderful texture and colour.  


It was so strange to make mayonnaise with only one egg yolk, no oil and with, of all things, condensed milk.   When it was beaten to my satisfaction I dipped a finger and gingerly took a taste test....

The condensed milk definitely gives it a very sweet flavour but this is surprisingly well offset by the tang of the vinegar and the smooth flavour added by the mustard.   I don't know if this will be a regularly repeated recipe for me as I don't like adding extra sugar to my salads (not to mention the mass of butter!) but it certainly was the most succcessful mayonnaise making of my life as well as the best tasting.  I'd definitely recommend making it at least once for the interesting taste experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment