Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Simplicity 5885 - Sewing a 60s Blouse

I was very excited about finishing my sewing project (a 1940s raglan sleeve dress from a Simplicity pattern).   I wanted to keep riding the enthusiasm and impetus of my previous sewing project so I went out fabric shopping with Sassy D and bought a wool-cotton blend for a 1940s suit and a cream linen to make a smart 1960s blouse.

The pattern I've chosen for the blouse is one from a large box I inherited from my grandmother.  Isn't it lovely to work with items that have come down through your family?  The pattern is Simplicity 5885, dated 1965, and I'm making View 1, a shell top with a natty jabot style tie/collar.

The linen looks very plain and dull in the photo below (underneath the pattern) but in real life it has a lovely soft drape and will do very nicely as an all-rounder blouse.


I have already:
  • bought fabric - a lovely cream 100% linen. 
  • washed the linen for shrinkage.
  • copied and graded the pattern up one size.
  • sewn together a mockup which fit reasonably well.


I think the tie looks a little wider on the mockup than the pattern sketch.  I may try to reduce the width of these in the final garment.

Though I'm ready to put scissors to fashion fabric for the blouse I'm at a standstill on this project while I try to sew the 1940s suit in time for the deadline of the Sew for Victory Sew-a-long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment