Sunday, January 13, 2013

Good Gracious! Applesauce!

I had planned to make a particular recipe for a quinoa breakfast which required applesauce. 

It just so happened that my little book of the Senior Girls Missionary Book of Tested Recipes had an applesauce recipe - on page 91.  In a comparison to an applesauce recipe in a modern Family Circle cookbook I found the only glaring difference to be the addition of butter.


Apple Sauce(no donating lady listed)
page 91
  • 6 granny smith apples, chopped roughly
  • 1 tab castor sugar
  • 2 tab water
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tab lemon juice
  • 1 desert spoon butter
Put all ingredients into a saucepan.  
Leave over medium heat until the apples are soft.
Beat the mixture until smooth (this can easily be done by hand). 

  



My Results and Notes

What can I say?  It was basic applesauce with the addition of salt and butter.  The butter is noticeable and I like the flavour it brings to the sauce.  It tasted incredibly good on my quinoa breakfast with currents and pecans.  Incredibly good. 
 



It was a quick and easy, no-fuss kind of recipe but what I enjoyed most about it was the chance to use my newly acquired Christmas present - an antique citrus juicer.   I've been after one of these for a while now and my wonderful husband, Mr R had bought me one just that afternoon while antique shopping for my late gift. 


 I think it's so much more elegant and charming than the $2 plastic one I had been using. 

No comments:

Post a Comment