Friday, November 9, 2012

What a Hat for Melbourne Cup!

There is one annual event in Australia that is almost synonymous for words like 'hat' or 'fascinator', that being the Melbourne Cup.   It's the one time in the year that I bet on horse racing (if you call a $2 bet in the office sweepstakes betting!)

My sweeps horse, Precedence, didn't win but to make up for it I had a fabulous (though slightly silly) hat to wear to the occasion!



It's an extravaganza of ruffled tulle passed down to me by my grandmother's sister in-law.  I'd place it in the 60s.  To be entirely anachronistic I wore it with a 40s silk jacket and a 50s floral sundress which you can also see in the above photo.

I hope any Australian readers out there had a more successful Melbourne Cup than I!

No comments:

Post a Comment